This will be a significant challenge due to the desired accuracy / scale of the arm.
- Motor Selection - Aiming for Brushless DC for power density / low cost
- Encoder Selection - Investigating implementing 16 bit magnetic encoders w/odrive
- Arm Material / Cross Section - Prototyping in Aluminium, later considering Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer (CFRP)
- Bearings - Considering low cost IGUS slew bearings, may have too much lash, will also look into thin section roller bearings, bushings.
- Gear reduction - Looking at cycloidal drive for low backlash, low cost of manufacture, also considering a differential belt driven system with two input motors per axis if the lash is too high with cycloid.