Why This Is Important:
What kinds of things do you make? Do you make things for entertainment? What if you could get paid for the things you make? The electronics that are all around us come in two types, the high-powered things like lights, and appliances. These appliances use a lot of energy, and do real work for us. The other type of electronics we have are the digital electronics, like phones, computers, and microcontrollers.
Microcontrollers can use less than 1 watt to do some really smart things.
Appliances use thousands of watts, to do some a really simple hard thing, like heat, cool, make wind, pump liquid, create humidity, or boil.
Do we want to all re-invest in smart appliances, when at this point there is no clear standard for IoT communication?
The PhotonHome takes that problem and goes to the root, which is A/C power. Linking together A/C devices at the outlet level allows everything to be on the same page, without having to reinvest in brand new IoT appliances.
The Photon is an up-and-coming microcontroller providing easy WiFi connectivity with a built in cloud backend. The key to PhotonHome is that it is the home base for a network of WiFi enabled sensors, and the somewhat dangerous part of interfacing to A/C devices is ready-to-go and safe.
PhotonHome is empowering makers to use their electricity in a way to create value. If we can figure out how to be even a bit more self-sufficient in our lives, then that is a good thing.
Control up to 4 A/C wall outlets.
Enclosure isolating the A/C voltage away from user.
Allows the Particle Photon environment to control A/C devices.
- Frost Ferment a Lager using a temperature sensor, and a minifridge.
- Use a space heater and a temperature sensor to maintain a room temperature, rather than get too hot while you sleep!
- Maintain a garden using a heating mat, humidifier, lights, and a fan.
- Make a fractional still, using a k-type thermocouple, water pumps, and an electric range....
- Boil liquids, potentially even with the science-y kind of stoves with the stir bar, for a certain time or temperature with a k-type thermocouple.
- Grow bacteria/fungi in specific temperatures/humidities, for whatever reason of your choice?
We want you to go out there and make something of value with the PhotonHome.
Makes Things That You Make, Make Things!