Project Goal: Develop a product, in collaboration with potential customers, that can protect bench grinder operators from the most common hazards, installs easily, and is priced for "Home Depot" range consumer market.
Technical Goals: Our product will provide the following features and functions:
- DC Injection Braking - to stop the tool quickly after each use thus preventing injuries associated with coasting. This requires the supply of up to 5kW of DC power delivered for up to 4 seconds.
- Accidental Restart Protection - to prevent the startup of the tool in the event of power loss or accidentally leaving the power switch in the 'on' position.
- Emergency Stop - an ANSI-compliant emergency stop button to activate braking in the event of an emergency.
- Plug-and-Play - designed so installation requires nothing more than plugging it in in-line with the existing bench grinder power cord.
- Size - the physical device must install unobtrusively onto a bench grinder. Initially targeting less than 40 cubic inches.
- Cost - we're targeting a BOM cost under $30 with an all-in cost to manufacture of $50 per unit at a quantity of 1,000.
But who are the grinder minders? Let me introduce you!
- Scott Swaaley - Educator, Engineer, Maker, Entrepreneur
- Scott McGimpsey - Engineer, Maker, Entrepreneur
- Phillip - Maker, Scientist, Computer Engineering Undergrad (and previously one of Scott's students).
- Harrison - Maker, Adventurer, and College-Bound Engineer (and previously one of Scott's students).